Application Conditions for Basecoat/Clearcoat Systems
- For basecoat/clearcoat systems, apply the basecoat according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- After the basecoat passes inspection and is ready for the clearcoat application, apply Sur-Prep® AP-1 over the basecoat following the Sur-Prep® AP-1 application steps here.
- Allow the Sur-Prep® AP-1 film to dry for at least 30 minutes and then mix and apply the clearcoat.
- Allow Aerodur 3001 to dry for a minimum of 2 hours before applying Sur-Prep® AP-1 to it.
- Allow Aerodur 3001 Special Effects basecoat to dry for a minimum of 3 hours before applying Sur-Prep® AP-1 to it.
- Once applied over any of these basecoats, the surface coated with Sur-Prep® AP-1 shall not be touched or disturbed prior to application of any subsequent coating.
Notes About Applying Sur-Prep® AP-1 To Basecoats and Aerodur 3002
Note: If the basecoat is allowed to cure beyond the manufacturer’s recommended cure conditions, Sur-Prep® AP-1 cannot be used to reactivate the basecoat. The basecoat will need to be scuff sanded and then re-applied. Moreover, Sur-Prep® AP-1 will need to be applied after the basecoat cures. Once applied, the surface coated with Sur-Prep® AP-1 shall not be touched or disturbed prior to application of any subsequent coating. Sur-Prep® AP-1 does not extend the overcoat time for Aerodur 3002. Aerodur 3002 must be sanded with abrasive paper or pad before Sur-Prep® AP-1 can be applied to it.