Sur-Prep® AP-1 Eliminates Scuff Sanding
Sur Prep® AP-1 is an adhesion promoter that can be used in the place of scuff sanding between coats of paint. It helps to re-activate the surface of the paint for subsequent coats to be applied. It can also be used for enhancing the adhesion of paint used for stenciling to topcoats. Sur Prep® AP-1 is sprayed as a thin, wet film using standard paint application methods, such as HVLP guns, air assisted airless spray guns, and electrostatic spray equipment. Coverage is typically 600 to 1000 ft2/gal (15 to 25 m2/l) and fly away weight is typically less than 0.2 lb/1000 ft2 (1 kg/1000 m2). When applied, the promoter forms a fine, whitish-gray powder and is easily detectible as it reduces the 60° surface gloss of the topcoat from 90 to below 10. The resulting gloss and color of the paint is not affected by Sur Prep® AP-1. Sur Prep® AP-1 should be applied when application temperatures are between 65°F and 90°F (10°C and 32°C) and the relative humidity is less than 70%.
- Eliminates ergonomic injuries associated with mechanical abrasion
- Reactivates more uniformly than scuff sanding
- Eliminates sanding dust which can be environmental hazard
- Reduces flow time
- Improves durability of paint
- Adds minimal weight (<1 kg/1000 m2) to the painted surface
- Sharpens paint edges
- Sprays easily for large area applications
- Is available in aerosol form for small area applications
Sur Prep® AP-1 has been used on commercial aircraft since 2008.
Once applied, the surface coated with Sur-Prep® AP-1 shall not be touched or disturbed prior to application of any subsequent coating.